Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Why THIS was the summer for our trip (from Seren's perspective)

A new school year begins tomorrow (Thursday, September 10, 2009) and I've spent the past two days at school getting ready for it. I realized that this past summer was THE summer for this trip for so many reasons. From my professional perspective, it was just perfect timing. It is the first time in my five years teaching at White Plains High that I am not teaching a new course. I have the same course load as last year, which alleviates a great deal of summer planning. I have curricula, lesson plans, materials, and ideas from my previous years (plus the confidence of having four years of teaching under my belt), so I could really enjoy our travels and not have my mind in my curriculum building.

Have said that, I have been working my tail off since Monday night preparing for the new year, but it's small price to pay for ten worry-free weeks of travel. Anyway, lesson planning late at night is a good way to deal with jet lag.

Speaking of my teaching....I've said that the best part of being a teacher is having the schedule: built-in vacation and summers off so I can do things like travel around the world with my husband. Perhaps I overuse superlatives, but I could also argue that the/another best part about being a teacher is the fact that every September offers a clean slate. How wonderful to make a fresh start every fall. As my 'roommate' and I set up our classroom and I prepared lesson plans and teaching materials for the first few days of school, I marveled at how great it is to have the chance to improve on my work with such regularity. Every Labor Day, while ridden with nerves and anxiety, offers the hope of a great school year. As my colleague says, "Every year we get a 'do-over'!"

Anyway, this was THE summer to travel and I am so glad that Craig and I seized the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment