Thursday, November 3, 2011

The welcoming committee

Since we moved into our new home on Monday, I have given no fewer than two house tours each day, meaning we've had a steady stream of visitors welcoming us to the area. People have been so warm in welcoming to us! Yesterday, a friend of a friend who lives nearby stopped by with a basket of treats and an invitation to Shabbat lunch this week. How kind!

And herein lies a delightful difference between the suburbs and the city: I didn't meet any of our neighbors in Manhattan until Belle came along (babies make great conversation). For more than four years, I rode the elevator with people and didn't say a word. I bumped into neighbors in the mail room and said merely, "excuse me." And now I know neighbors after 3 days of living in a neighborhood instead of a high-rise.

I think we'll be OK here in White Plains...

No comments:

Post a Comment