Monday, December 12, 2011

Honesty is the best policy

Belle had a little meltdown in Target this afternoon. She was screaming and crying and wasn't happy in my arms or on her feet. I finally calmed her down by giving her a $2 hair comb to hold in one hand and my house keys in her other. After her tears ceased, I rushed to get through the check-out line to get my cranky Belle home. I was nearly at the car when I noticed that the $2 comb that I had not paid for was still in Belle's hand. It occurred to me just to go home with the comb in Belle's hand. I am sure I'll be back to that Target soon and I could pay the $2 at that time. No, that's stealing. I thought about leaving the comb in the Target cart in the parking lot, but I figured it would likely get taken before the cart returned to the store. So, despite Belle's protests, I did the right thing. I picked Belle up, which made her cry (she was happier walking), took the comb from her hand, which made her scream, and ran back into the store to the service desk. There I put the comb down on the counter and said, "I am sorry. I accidentally took this comb." So, back where I started before the comb touched Belle's hand (that is, with a melting-down baby), I know honesty was the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment