Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Baking: the yummy, and the scary

With Purim coming up on Sunday, Craig suggested that I bake Hamantashen with Belle.  After Belle's nap yesterday, we began the baking process.  Belle was delightfully helpful and Emily was content to lie on a her playmat which we moved to the kitchen so I could keep an eye on her.  Everything was going swimmingly.
  
Since we don't own a round cookie cutter, I used a glass pint glass to cute the rolled cookie dough into circles to become triangular jam-stuffed cookies.  Hindsight is 20/20. As I write this, I can think of half a dozen other round object I could have used yesterday instead of a glass pint glass: the top to a jam jar, a sippy cup, anything round and less breakable than a glass pint glass.  Anyway, when my eyelid closed in a single blink, the glass fell to our stone-tiled kitchen floor and shattered in a thousand pieces.  

Emily cried because the noise scared her, but she was thankfully untouched by the pieces of broken glass.  Belle cried because she was also scared.  I then burst into tears, wondering how I was going to clean the mess barefoot (I am always barefoot at home) with two little girls around.  Belle saw my tears and said, "Don't be sad, Mommy," so I pulled it together.  I put Emily in the swing in the living, sat Belle on the couch, turned on Sesame Street (I have never been more grateful for On-Demand programming), and went to cleaning the kitchen, then preparing and baking the cookies.

Happy ending: the cookies came out well, the kitchen floor is clean, and Belle enjoyed a special treat of watching a whole episode of Sesame Street.

Everyday an adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment