Monday, July 29, 2013

Emily's 9-month check-up = IRONIC

Emily went to the pediatrician today for her 9-month well visit.  I never in a million years thought I'd hear a medical professional tell me what the pediatrician told me:  Emily needs more calories.  I find it ironic that my child needs more calories.  Really ironic.  I have been laughing about it all day (though, of course, taking it seriously).

Emily is overall doing great.  She is developing well and looking healthy.  She overcame a bad virus earlier this month (likely Coxsackie: fever for 5-6 days followed by a rash and spots) and is back in tip top health.  She showed the doctor how she smiles and coos and stands and scooches (not yet actually crawling, but moving).  The doctor was pleased by all of this.

However, she is only 27 inches long (16th percentile) and weighed in at 15.5 pounds (12th percentile).  So she's a little girl.  And her percentiles in both areas have decreased, so it's time to step up the feeding (more proteins and more invitations to eat).  Emily will be weighed again when we are back at the pediatrician's office for Belle's 3-year-old check-up next month to see Emily's growth progress.

Some of us need to eat more, others need to eat less.  But we're all doing well and in reasonably good health, and there's lots of smiles which I think counts for something significant.

No comments:

Post a Comment