Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Putting things away

Why is it so hard to put away clothing and gear that baby Sadie has outgrown?  Because everything carries a memory.

Sadie hasn't slept swaddled in a few months now, so I ought to pass along her swaddlers.  However, I think of how well Sadie slept all swaddled and snuggly.  How when I stopped swaddling her at three-months just because I thought a three-month-old should sleep unswaddled, she started waking throughout the night.  How when I resumed swaddling her, and she immediately slept beautifully, I vowed to keep swaddling her though high school.  Sure, she now sleeps well in her sleepsack, but I feel a gratitude toward the swaddlers that offered us so much much-needed sleep.

And the small, girly receiving blankets we haven't used in months.  The ones Craig ran out and bought to calm me.  See, I was so sure Sadie was a boy, I only prewashed gender-neutral newborn items. So we brought baby Sadie to her first pediatrician appointment when she was four days old wearing a white and yellow ducky outfit with a yellow hat, covered with a green receiving blanket.  The physician's assistant marveled at our adorable baby boy, and I burst into tears.  After the important appointment (ascertaining Sadie was healthy), Craig went to Target to pick up come necessaries, and included in his shopping cart newborn-size dresses and tights, pink socks, and the three-pack of pink-patterned receiving blankets, so it would be clear that Sadie is a girl.

I will pass these items on to others so they will continue to be loved, but it is hard to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment