Sunday, October 23, 2011

Status update

So, I'm officially a working mom. It hasn't been an easy two months, but that has as much to do with personal struggles as with my new juggling act as mom and teacher.

Everything is different at school this year, and it has been a real challenge to figure out the new schedule, courses, classrooms, procedures, and technology. My teaching is suffering a bit from me trying to learn these new ropes, but I am doing my best. Would my transition back to work have been easier had nearly everything in my professional life not changed? Yes. Could I handle the changes better if I weren't exhausted from running from school to my other full-time job as a mom? Maybe. All in all, I am doing fine and, yet again, relying on the kindness of...well, not strangers, but colleagues to help me relearn how to be a teacher at my school.

Indeed, my transition back to school has been facilitated- my return to work eased and my day-to-day life at work positively enhanced- by the wonderfulness of my colleagues. I am so lucky to work with such intelligent, kind, considerate, fun people. I am not sure I could have made it through these first two months of school without my fellow teachers checking in with me professionally and personally: catching me up on new procedures, introducing me to new administrators, asking me about Belle, referring me to movers for our upcoming relocation to our new home. I simply could not make it through the school days/weeks/months/semesters without the kindness of my colleagues. I am so lucky.

I am also lucky to have a helpful and supportive husband. Craig has been really great about helping me and us out since I became a working mom. He helps with dinners (he once made a week's worth of Moroccan beef stew on a Sunday; other times, he's prepared a meal so I just have to put it in the oven to cook it) and also with cleaning. He also accepted the harder/est job of dropping Belle off at day care (I have the significantly more pleasurably task of picking her up). Most importantly, he took on the task of preparing us for our house purchase and move to the 'burbs. I tried to help a little, mostly with finding us home owners' insurance, but Craig quickly relieved me of that responsibility and added insurance to his long to-do-list. He took care of the mortgage; communicating with the real estate lawyer; acquiring our new (used) car (a minivan, which he drives- thank you, Craig!); car, renters and home owners' insurance-- all things business have been out of my mind and off my shoulders. Craig's really been a wonderful copilot and a big source of support.

I am happy to report that Belle seems to be doing well with her child care provider. Rather than enrolling Belle at a traditional day care center or hiring a private babysitter/nanny, we have Belle in a Family Day Care setting at a home very close to my high school. The child care provider is state licensed and certified to care for up to four children during the day, but so far Belle is one of only two full-time children. This means that Belle gets some socialization, as there is always another baby and sometimes three other toddlers, but also care and attention and love and the ability to play in a safe environment. While she still fusses when Craig leaves (mostly because Daddy is leaving, not because she is unhappy; she actually reaches out for the day care provider when Craig carries her into her home), but she seems happy when I pick her up.

I find it is important for me to still feel like a mom and enjoy play time with Belle. I have rushed back to NYC after school to make mommy and me music classes, play-dates and visits to parks and playgrounds. I am lucky that I can incorporate such fun times into my schedule as a teacher (early morning start time, but later afternoon free time). I recently resumed my relished role as co-director of the school plays, and I plan to continue to preserve Belle-time after play rehearsals and on days when there isn't or I don't attend rehearsals. It's all part of the juggling act.

Bottom line: I and we are fine. Craig is the best partner in parenting, and really in life (good choice, Seren), and I work with wonderful people. Perhaps the reason why "it takes a village to raise a child" is because it takes many people to support and sustain the child's primary care givers. And I am lucky to be surrounded by great villagers : )

No comments:

Post a Comment