Wednesday, June 6, 2012

"More cookie, please"

Belle is talking up a storm, but one must understand Belle-speak to interact with her.  For instance, "cookie" refers to any food...any food item that Belle desires at the time she says "cookie, please."  The other week, we enjoyed a lovely meal, most of which Belle played through.  When it was time for dessert, suddenly Belle appeared on my lap.  I gave her a small piece of my slice of chocolate babka, which she apparently enjoyed.  She finished her small bite and said, "More cookie, please."  Not wanting to overindulge her, I put five pieces of fruit (one pineapple, two cantaloupe and two honeydew) on my plate.  Belle took them off one by one and said, "No. No. No. No. No. More cookie, please."

Today, I satiated her desire for "more cookie" with Ritz crackers and dried apricots.  In Belle-speak, "cookies" are really just whatever she wants to eat at that moment.  It just so happens that sometimes she really wants a cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment