Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Celebrating 35

Craig and I celebrated my big birthday in NYC last night. It was a serendipitous night! The girls barely blinked when we left them with a sitter, and we easily drove to Manhattan. Craig quickly found a great parking spot on the street, and we were seated right away at a packed restaurant without a reservation. At the restaurant, we ran into a cousin and the rabbi who married us. Rabbi Sarna recalled fondly that ours was his first wedding that made it into the New York Times (though not his last). He also reminisced about my singing under the chupah. It was a fun walk down wedding memory lane, and an honor that he remembers such details. We saw a really fantastic show: the Roundabout Theatre Company's Off-Broadway production of Into the Woods. I loved it.

On our walk back to the car, we happened to pass the theater of the new Broadway show Finding Neverland just as one of the show's stars Kelsey Grammar exited the stage door. He opened the door and was greeted on the street by throngs of fans with cameras (well, phones) and great cheers. I joked to Craig that people should cheer more when I walk through doors as they cheered for Kelsey Grammar.

We didn't leave ourselves many hours between returning home after a really great evening and getting ready for another day, so I was a bit groggy when I walked through the doors at school this morning. My morning was a brightened when I recognized that four students smiled, waved, and greeted me enthusiastically on my 100-meter walk from the school door to my classroom door. I decided that Kelsey Grammar may enjoy his cheers, but I am satisfied with my warm greetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment