Sunday, December 11, 2016

"You can't say, 'You can't play.'"

We had two family Hanukkah parties this weekend, which was a treat for Belle and Emily who love playing with their cousins.  On Saturday, Emily's buddy Cousin Mia was under the weather so she stayed home.  No big deal.
At one point in the evening during the party, Emily asked me where the older kids, Belle, Noah, and Dylan, were playing.  I found them "hiding" in Dylan's closet.  I asked them to include Emily.  One child said, "I wish Mia was here."  Then another child said, "It's just that this closet is really small."  Finally, Belle said, "You can't say, 'you can't play,'" evoking her classroom rule.  "Move over and make room for Emily."
As it turned out, Emily opted out of the closet-hiding activity, but that's not the point.  I am so proud of Belle for standing up to her cousins.  I am so proud of Belle for standing up for her sister.  Belle is teaching Emily how to be a good big sister by example, and I'm proud of her for that, too.  Finally, I am happy that Belle is learning such wonderful rules and values at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment