Monday, July 27, 2009

Korea- day 1 reflections

I will write about Paris later. I am just so thrilled to be back in Korea and I want to blog about that now!

Craig and I arrived safe and sound this morning and effortlessly traveled from the airport to the guest house in which we're staying. This guest house is a great- a step above backpackers' accommodations, but with backpacker-friendly amenities, such as a computer room, open kitchen, and free washing machine that I used to clean our clothes (finally!).

While Craig napped to recuperate from our all-day travels from Paris (via Helsinki, where reindeer meat and smoked salmon are the proteins of choice, apparently), I did a bit of exploring. I forgot what it's like to NOT be anonymous. I forgot that people (especially older people and kids) look at me with interest when I walk down the street. I forgot that people approach me to ask if I need help, even if I don't. I forgot that when I do need help, people don't just tell me, they show me (I got a bit turned around looking for the fabulously artistic Insadong street, and two people insisted on walking me there, though it appeared to be out of their way). I am happy to be reminded of all of this. Korean people are so kind and so eager to help (whether to practice their English or to make sure a visitor has a good time in their country) that it's difficult to not feel happy and safe in Korea.

Craig and I are meeting two Fulbright friends for dinner tonight. As luck would have it, a friend who lives on Cape Cod happens to be visiting Korea this week (she was helping out with this year's new Fulbright ETAs in Chuncheon, but is returning to Seoul in time for dinner) and is staying with a our friend who happens to live very near to where Craig and I are staying. I am so excited that this dinner engagement fell into place so beautifully and effortlessly. I can't wait to see my friends, introduce them to Craig, and have dinner in Seoul!

Other excitement lined up for our visit in Seoul: dinner at a traditional restaurant that serves (Buddhist) Temple food and offers traditional dance and song performances for diners (Mom and Dad- we went here with Kate--- Dad danced with exuberantly the performers, if you recall); a day tour with the USO to the DMZ so we can check out what's really going on in North Korea (just kidding! we'll be safe- I promise). There are palaces and temples and people to see, so I'm sure we'll be busy in Seoul these next few days. We're heading south to Kwangju on Friday so I can show Craig where and how and with whom I lived in 2002-3----- I can't wait!

My language skills have clearly deteriorated, but I am hopeful that they will slowly return to me. I seem to be able to get by OK, but I find it frustrating to search for words and expressions that I know I once knew.

That's all for now! I'll try to 'backtrack' and write about our fabulous four days in Paris soon :)

I hope all is well!

love, seren

No comments:

Post a Comment