Monday, January 3, 2011

"Mama said..."

So, it seems that my mother may be right.  She always values sleep highly and finds it to be a cure-all.  When I was growing up, the answer to any ailment was to sleep more:
"Mom, I have a headache."  "Better go to bed early tonight then, sweetie."
"Mom, my stomach hurts."  "Well, then why don't you go take a nap?"
"Ouch!  I twisted my ankle, Mom!"  "It's because you didn't sleep well last night, pumpkin."
Well, according to the pediatrician who wrote the book that I am reading to make Belle a healthy sleeper, my mother was right.  The pediatrician/author essentially claims that any bought of fussiness is ultimately related to a lack of proper sleep.  He claims that most illnesses can be avoided by a well-rested child.  Aside from threatening that my child will grow up to be a delinquent if she doesn't get on a proper sleep schedule by her fifth month of life, he seems to agree with my mom that many existing troubles can be cured by sleeping.
While I don't fully buy everything this doctor is suggesting, somehow I think that parenthood may be full of "my mother was right" moments...

No comments:

Post a Comment