Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Co-sleeping

Craig and I never even discuss sharing a bed with Belle, though many parents do co-sleep with their infants. We instead put Belle in a bassinet for her first few months, and then her crib when she outgrew with bassinet. And yet, on the mornings when we take a morning nap together, I wonder if co-sleeping isn't a good way to go. When Belle lies next to me on Craig and my bed, her eyes close silently and she naps peacefully for over an hour. She wakes quietly and happy. More often than not, when we put her in her crib, she fusses and cries and even screams. It takes her a little longer to get settled. She sometimes wakes up crying instead of smiling. I know it's not practical for Craig and me to actually share a bed with Belle, but I do appreciate and enjoy our naps together, and I won't judge parents who do choose to co-sleep. There is evidence that is it better for baby and mom, and I have seen that it results in a more peaceful sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment