Thursday, November 8, 2012

Belle Singing Her Lullabies

I have always loved singing to Belle, and now I sing to Emily.  I didn't think Belle ever listened to my songs.  Now that she is old enough to ask me for songs, I assume that she is really requesting a delay in bedtime (and I'm such a sucker, I give in and sing another song before saying goodnight).
One of the song in my repertoire  is "Your Daddy's Son" as sung by Audra MacDonald in the 1998 production of Ragtime.  No, it is not the most uplifting song, but I didn't think Belle was ever listening to my words.
Until today.
Belle received a toy piano as a gift from Grandma and Grandpa.  She is excited to have her own "pinano" and, in her excitement, she walked around this morning singing, "Daddy played pinano, played it very well."  She repeated  that first line of the song "Your Daddy's Son" over and over, to the correct melody.  I was shocked and flattered and now realize that I need to select my lullabies more carefully.


No comments:

Post a Comment