Sunday, June 2, 2013

Tale as old as time

Mommy and Emily (Comedy Tragedy masks?)
Emily spent some time with her Daddy and her Grandpa Richard while Belle and I went to the theater.  A local children's theater was presenting a production of Disney's Beauty and the Beast so I took Belle to see her first play since infancy (I brought her with me to the High School while I was on maternity leave in 2010/2011 to see the shows that were produced in my absence).

Adjusting to being in the theater.
I brought a pillow for her to sit on to help her better see the stage, but when the theater grew dark, Belle climbed onto my lap and we spent the play snuggling.  Belle was scared at first of the Beast and of the scenes that took place in the enchanted forest, but she loved the scenes with Princess Belle and whenever there was singing and dancing.  She enjoyed the costumes and the dancing, too.  Ultimately, Belle behaved well and was interested enough that we stayed in our seats for the entire play (I requested aisle seats in case we had to scoot out in the middle of an act).

Belle's preferred seat: on my lap
After, we raced backstage to meet Princess Belle (portrayed by one of my students whom I contacted ahead of time to arrange a meeting in costume).  Belle (my little Belle, not the character) was elated.  She kept saying, "I met Princess Belle!" On the way back to the car, we enjoyed a special treat of a fro-yo. What flavor did Belle request? Purple, of course (in this case, blueberry tart). I mixed in some chocolate and she enjoyed it with her purple spoon.
A lollipop a intermission gave Belle the fuel she needed to return to the theater for Act II





Princess Belle, my elated Belle, Mommy
It was an exhaustingly stimulating afternoon, but super fun.
A treat of purple (and chocolate ice cream) with a purple spoon

No comments:

Post a Comment