Saturday, September 14, 2013

My return to work

I feel very lucky. Here are a few factors that have eased my transition to life as a working mother of two.

1. I really like my job.  I enjoy teaching English and Drama to high school students.  I enjoy directing the school plays and advising the drama club.  I like teaching.

2.  I work with great people.  I have warm, cooperative, kind, funny colleagues.  Some visited me while I was on leave.  Some contacted me Labor Day Weekend to wish me well on my return to school.  Some volunteered course materials to help me get back into the swing of teaching.  Everyone welcomed me back warmly, easing my return to work.

3.  I like students.  A senior asked me if I am new to school because he didn't recognize me.  I told him that I've been teaching at the school since 2005, but I am returning from a long maternity leave.  He replied with, 'Congratulations!"  I was impressed that a seventeen year old boy had the wherewithal of hear "maternity leave" and think to congratulate me.  I have met some really lovely teenagers at school.  

4.  My favorite part of teaching, next to snow days, is the opportunity for a "do-over" every September.  I feel really lucky that I was able to return from leave when everyone else was returning to start a new school year.  Would I have preferred to be with Emily until she turned one, as I was able to do with Belle?  Of course, but the chance to start at a starting point was invaluable.

I miss being with the girls tremendously.  While I am delighted that Belle loves school, my heart breaks a little when Craig (poor Craig) reports that Emily cries when he leaves her in someone else's care.  But, I know Emily is safe and I know Belle is happy and I am confident that they will both be OK.  I am exhausted and busy, but so far I can't complain about my status change from stay at home mom to working mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment