Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The highlight of Yom Kippur

Yom Kippur is not a celebratory holiday, but rather a contemplative one.  And yet, I had the unique opportunity to celebrate my beautiful family this past Yom Kippur.

Craig and I were invited to carry the Torah around the congregation immediately prior to the Yom Kippur morning Torah reading.  We accepted the honor with pleasure.  It turns out that the Torah honor was actually an opportunity to parade our family throughout the congregation.

We four went to the bimah when the ark was opened and the Torahs revealed.  I held Emily in my arms and Craig held a prayer book in one hand and Belle's hand with his other hand.  Both girls were quiet, though Belle got a bit antsy and twirled a bit under Craig's arm during the preliminary prayers (Belle held Craig's hand as she spun herself in a circle, ducking under her own arm attached to Craig's).  Belle's twirls made the cantor smile as he chanted before the open ark.

Then, the rabbi handed Craig one of the two Torahs before the procession began.  The cantor led the way through the congregation, followed by another congregant carrying one Torah.  Craig followed carrying the Torah in one hand and holding Belle's hand with his other hand (an impressive feat considering how heavy and valuable a Torah is).  I carried Emily and walked behind Craig and Belle, and the rabbi followed me.  We walked up one aisle, across the back aisle, and down another aisle back to the bimah.

I wasn't expecting the kind and complimentary reaction of the congregation to us four, and yet I heard wonderful compliments about my family throughout the walk.  People turned to each other to remark how cute the girls looked.  People told me how well-behaved my children were.  A few people commented that it's too bad we couldn't take a picture of our beautiful family because we all looked so lovely.  I was nearly moved to tears marching with the Torah on Yom Kippur because it was overwhelmingly warm and wonderful to hear so many kind things about my girls and my family while on parade during services.  It was really pretty unbelievable how many kind words I heard during the short walk through the congregation.

While the rest of Yom Kippur was meaningful in a different way, I often think of my favorite Live quote: "I don't need no one to tell me 'bout heaven; I look at my daughter[s] and I believe."

No comments:

Post a Comment