Friday, August 21, 2015

A walk down memory lane

Yesterday was rain (on and off), so we traveled closer to the Delaware Water Gap and had a fun day. We saw a children's production (for kids with cast members ages 5-15 years old) of "Cinderella" at the historic Shawnee Playhouse (where I saw a production of "Annie" with my grandmother nearly thirty years ago). We had lunch at the Shawnee General Store, then drove up to Shawnee Mountain (near the site of Shawnee Place, a water park I used to love as a child). On the way back to the main road, we swung by Shawnee Village to see the place my family used to vacation. It's quite different now. For one thing, the great pool I loved is gone (they removed the pool after a big storm flooded it years ago). But the access to the Delaware River was simplified, so Belle and I put our feet in the water. It's funny: sans pool, and with an enhanced golf course and the Shawnee Brewery on the premises, the Shawnee Village caters to a much older crowd these days.
Finally, we visited Bushkill Falls, which is advertised all over the Poconos as PA's Niagara Falls. Unfortunately, the rain picked up just as we arrived there, but we still enjoyed the view! The kids were amazing on the hike. They enthusiastically walked themselves as we followed the suggested 45-minute route. I was so proud of the girls for walking so heartily in the rain!
We had a great day, and I appreciated the chance to revisit places that hold a fond place in my heart from my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment