Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Hair

I clearly remember my children's births.
I remember being in the labor and delivery room on August 29, 2010. I remember pushing and schmoozing with Dr. Shin. I can picture the view of the Hudson River from the room. I remember Dr. Shin teasing Craig that he'd missed his child's birth when he ran out to refill his ice water cup in between pushes.
And I remember Dr. Shin telling me during my final pushes, "the baby has a full head of hair."
Moments before I met Belle- before I knew that she was healthy; that she was female; that she was our baby Belle- I learned that she already had hair on her tiny head.
That hair that Dr. Shin saw during her birth is now nearly at big girl Belle's butt, and it's time to say goodbye to it.
Belle is getting her first haircut tomorrow. She decided that she wants to donate it, so this first haircut won't merely be a trim. We will say goodbye to 8-10 inches of Belle's hair, which we will send to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths.
That's the plan, anyway. There's still time to change our minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment