Friday, August 14, 2015

My glimpse into a commute

We live in a suburb of New York City and most of our neighbors travel from White Plains to Manhattan everyday. We do not. Our lives primary exist within a rather tiny radius: my commute to school two miles form our house is currently the longest commute among the four of us.
But I took a class in Manhattan this week. Monday-Friday, I was required to be on East 61st Street near 5th Avenue at 8:30 each morning. Class ended 4-4:30pm each afternoon. In other words, I experienced a taste of the life of a commuter this week.

THE CONS
I was shocked by the cost of a train ticket. A monthly train ticket costs more than $250. A one-way peak ticket costs nearly $12. What?! On top of the train fee, people either pay for parking ($8-$12/day, or perhaps a bit less with a monthly parking garage permit), or take a cab at $6-$8 a fare, plus tip. I walked from Grand Central to East 61st Street but many people must then pay for the subway to get from the train to their offices. More expensive than money is the time people invest in their commute. I spent more than two hours each day commuting. I kissed the girls goodbye Monday morning at around 7am, and saw them again at 5:30pm. I was only actually in my class for eight of the ten and a half hours I was away.

PROS
The drive to the train to the walk offered diversity in my single commute. I appreciated the glimpse into the community among commuters, and it is a bond. I found train time both productive (I completed my homework on the way to class in the morning), and an opportunity to decompress after a busy day (I usually listened to music and closed my eyes on the way home). It was nice to have a break between being a student and being a parent. I usually end my teaching day, travel across the street, and assume my mom role. I also really enjoyed the walk as part of my commute.

ULTIMATELY
This glimpse into a commuting lifestyle made me better appreciate our non-commuting lifestyle. The New York Times agrees that it is most economic to live closer to here you work. We are awfully lucky to live where we work and visit New York City only electively.


No comments:

Post a Comment