Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Brief overview of our four days in Gwangju

SO much to say about our time in Korea outside of Seoul! I'll give a brief overview here:

We took a bus to Gwangju and my host father met us the newly-renovated and gorgeous bus station. From there we went directly to my host family's new home in Gwangju. What a beautiful apartment! We enjoyed a delicious homemade Korean meal with my host parents, brother, and sister, after which we took a lovely walk around on a walking path made on top of former railroad track. We slept at my host family's and then (the next day) visited Naju, my former residence. There are many many MANY more apartment developments, but it still has that small-town feel (we didn't see a single other foregone our whole time in Naju). We vistaed Naju highlights, including Dongshin University, the apartment in which we lived, Naju High School, some relics from Naju past, the Naju Pear Museum (yup, there's a museum dedicated to pears!), and , of course, the Naju penis :) Later we went to a KIA Tigers baseball game, then returned to our host family's home for Korean style pizaa (with sweet potatoes and mayo--- hard to explain, yummy to eat-- we took pictures).

We spent the next day with the dean of Dongshin University with whom I studied and published three Korean/English texts (FUNNY STORY! I hadn't told my Korean friends about my publications, but my host mother came across 'Seren goes to Naju' and was shocked and excited- she now owns a copy of it). We saw Mudungsan (Gwangju's famous mountain) and Damyang, where we visited a bamboo park and ancient Korean writer's hermitage. Later, we visited the orphanage where I used to volunteer (more on that later).

The day after, we enjoyed downtown Gwangju. Has it ever changed! There are heaps of Western restaurants- Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kream, Smoothie King, Outback Steakhouse, KFC, Pizza Hut. We also found an Indian restaurant run by people from Nepal. It was literally the first time I walked into a restaurant in Korea and the employees and cooks were not Korea. It was delicious Indian food! Another change is that there are a bunch of nail places all around downtown Gwangju! I remember my friend getting her nail polish changed only (ie, not a full mani) at a fancy Korea department store seven years ago. Well now there are Korean nail places everywhere! It is so funny!

We enjoyed a lovely dinner at the home of a former Naju High School colleague and her family, then went to a LIVE Bar (ie, bar with live music) with my host parents- a very fun doubke date.

I was so sad to say goodbye to everyone, especially my host family, but I am confuted by the fact that I've seen them twice since I moved out of Korea six years ago---- we didn't say goodbye, we said 'see you again.'

No we're in Busan, the second largest Korean city; a port city on the southeast corner of the peninsula. We intend to spend out second anniversary visiting the UN Cemetery and a Korean War Memorial, two Buddhist temples, an ancient fortress, and, of course, a Korean bathhouse (the largest in Asia, so it claims to be).

Hope all is well with you! We are certainly happy and healthy as we adventure our adventure in Korea and our anniversary!

love, seren

No comments:

Post a Comment