Monday, August 31, 2009

Should we just have kangaroos?

When my parents showed my brother and me the sea lions on Pier 39 in San Fransisco, they joked that they had once discussed whether they wanted to have sea lions or children, and that seeing the cute sea creatures made them second guess their decision.

Craig and I went on a tour of Victoria's Yarra Valley today. We first stopped for tea at a national park where gorgeous native birds dined on bird feed from our hands- it was spectacular. Then Craig and I took a quick stroll through a path in the park. There, we saw a kangaroo in the wild noshing on leaves with a joey in its pouch. We both were so excited---- it was a highlight of the day! It made me think: maybe we should start a family of 'roos...
Craig vetoed the ideas.

From there, we rode an old steam engine train- the old Puffing Billy- for a few miles. Craig and I regressed and experienced the train ride as if were ten years old- what fun it was! After, we grew up and visited a winery where we had lunch and sampled about ten different wines- yum! Finally, we toured a wildlife sanctuary where native animals (kangaroos, koalas, wombats, other marsupials, Tasmanian devils, platypuses, possums, dingos, birds and bats, snakes and other reptiles) roamed around their natural habitat and we could see them up close and personal. What a treat! Again, I wondered if raising 'roos would be easier than children. Think about it: they raise themselves in someone else's pouch, they eat only greens, they sure are quiet, they are universally cute--- sounds like winners! I am sure they would be easier to raise than children, but Craig won't let me find out.

It was full and fun day today! We're sad to think that we have to say goodbye to Australia in just a few days....

Hope all is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment