Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sunday Morning in Melbourne

Good morning from Melbourne.  I woke up today early with excitement.  Today we're going to the Melbourne Museum and Melbourne Jail and then a footie [Aussie Rules Football] match.  In the meantime, here's what I did this morning.

Got out of bed and went to watch tv.  I figured I may be able to find some American sports.  Instead, I found Indiana Jones.  Both Temple of Doom and Raiders of the Lost Ark were starting at the same time, so I chose TD.  I was happily watching until a slow part came on, at which point I started flipping the channels and came across the Mets versus Cubs.  The Saturday afternoon national baseball game.  It was the top of the ninth, the Mets had two outs against them and were down 11-4.  Angel Pagan grounded out and it was game over.  I'm quite grateful that I didn't find the game until the very end.  With that, I returned to TD.

Richard came home shortly thereafter with bagels both of the Aussie and "New York" variety.  I think the NY bagels are a little bigger and sweeter though I ate an Aussie one.  It could pass for a bagel in most places outside NY in the US.  It was smaller and not so dense.  But was quite good with butter.

And on to the day...


PS - I also caught Fox News' converage of Ted Kennedy's funeral or motorcade or something and I heard the commentator talk about how this was a great example of American democracy in action and how the USA is a beacon to the world and the world's greatest example of people's participation in governance, and finally, how Sen. Kennedy was well-respected by both conservatives and liberals alike. Wow, can they speak BS up to wazoo? Republicans had zero respect for Ted Kennedy. And American democracy is not a fine example for other nations, because many other nations in the first-world are very happy with their parlimentary system where there are fewer rights, but more government control (and universal health care and the whatnot). Sorry, just had to add that.

No comments:

Post a Comment