Monday, November 15, 2010

"Mothers are all slightly insane"

I first read J. D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye when I was a freshman in high school. Holden notes that "mothers are all slightly insane." I totally get it. It's not that all women are insane, or even that all women who choose to experience the roller-coaster of pregnancy and the trauma of labor and delivery are insane. Rather motherhood tugs at a woman's sanity. I can't remember the last time I slept through the night. Between runs to the bathroom during pregnancy and late-night/early-morning feedings, it feels like the last time I slept more than three hours straight was years ago. And the things I say and do to get my cutie-pie Belle to smile sound sort of nuts, and certainly would be cause to have me committed if taken out of context. For instance, Belle was being a tad fussy and it was time for our walk anyway, so I bounced her around while I prepared us both to go outside and sang, "We're going to take a walkity-walk. Yes, we're going to take a walkity-walk. Oh, we're going to take a walkity-walk. A walkity-what? A walkity walk!" So, yes, I agree that "mothers are all slightly insane" and I totally admit to my insanity being a bit more than than slight...

No comments:

Post a Comment