Sunday, February 27, 2011

Do not operate heavy machinery

A friend who lives in the 'burbs where she has to get in a car to get anywhere had a baby who is a few months older than Belle.  This friend told me that, upon discharge from the hospital after birth, she was warned not to drive a car.  The medical professionals at the hospital warned her that the post-postpartum hormones lowered her reaction time and heightened her emotion so she would be better off staying in the passenger seat, or out of the car all together for her first two weeks at home.

I didn't hear this warning, but I wish I had.  Had I known that I was not suited to drive a car would have made me feel less crazy for feeling, well, crazy postpartum.  I joke that I cried more than Belle those first few weeks, but I guess that's normal.  My emotions were on a roller coaster and my head was in the clouds and my body felt like hell.  A warning about not operating a car or heavy machinery would have made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment