Thursday, February 17, 2011

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"

I have attended a monthly support group for nursing mothers since September, when Belle was just three weeks old. Now, at the ripe old age of five-and-a-half months, Belle was one of the older/est babies at this month's group. That makes me a more experienced mommy. And so, at the meeting on Wednesday, I introduced myself and asked the facilitating lactation consultant my questions. Shortly thereafter, the tables turned and a few of the moms asked me questions. After the lactation consultant concluded the session, I found myself still chatting with four other moms, all with babies younger than Belle. In fact, three women asked for my contact information, which I excitedly gave, in case they had questions about what lay ahead with their babies. I am happy to serve as a resource to new moms, not that I really know what I am doing. But, with nearly six months under my belt, I am look like a pro to the mom with the ten-day-old. The relativity of knowledge is astounding, and yet another way in which motherhood is humbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment