Monday, November 10, 2014

It's never easy

The plight of the working mom:

On the rare morning when I creep through my morning routine and leave the house to go to school while the girls are still sleeping, I'm sad that I don't see them or get to say goodbye. I wonder all day if they slept well and how they are.

Many mornings, the girls are up and dressed by the time I leave. Often, they'll put up a fight over my leaving then. "Stay, Mommy!" "Don't go!" "No, Mommy!" It's heart-breaking to turn my back on my sad daughters and leave them to go to work on these mornings. I know, and Craig confirms, that the girls are fine ("Mommy who?") five minutes after I leave, but it's heard to leave hearing that crying.

And then there are mornings like today, which are few and far between. Emily was playing nicely in the playroom while I packed lunch bags and got everything squared away for a Monday morning. I went to say goodbye to her, and she said, "Mommy, sit. Play!" She was awake and dressed, but not crying or fussing. I wanted to sit and play with her so so much. So I kissed her sweet face and promised her that I'd play with her later.

It is never easy to leave the house in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment