Friday, December 3, 2010

Rock(ing chair) star

Now that Belle is cooing and on the verge of laughing, she makes a great audience for my one-woman singing concerts! I especially enjoy singing to her my version of the Ben Harper version of the John Lennon song "Bountiful Boy." When I sing it, though, it's called "Beautiful Belle." I also enjoy :Something Good" from "The Sound of Music." I also modify the lyrics a bit when I sing it to Belle, but I keep the gist of the song (I am so lucky to have this beautiful love in my life, and what did I do to deserve this wonderfulness). I love singing to her the silly songs that make her smile, like "A Bushel and A Peck" from "Guys and Dolls" and "Surrey with a Fringe on Top" from "Oklahoma." As long as Belle keeps smiling and cooing and nearly laughing while I sing, I'll continue to serenade her. Maybe she'll start singing along soon!

My mother used to make up tunes and lyrics when she rocked and sang to my brother and me when we were babies. She referred to her rock(ing) concerts as "Mommy's Greatest Hits." Maybe one day we'll take it on the road: two generations of rock(ing chair) stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment