Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I must be nuts

This mother certainly is at least slightly insane. Though the idea of Belle (and me) sleeping through the night sounds wonderful (though unrealistic at this point), the thought crossed my mind recently that if/when Belle begins sleeping through the night (it is going to happen sometime, right?), I may actually miss something about the nighttime feedings. I won't miss her screaming fits of reflux-induced discomfort, and I won't miss my struggling to fall back to sleep after tucking Belle back in her bassinet. But on Sunday night (or really Monday morning) at 2am when Belle was quietly eating with her eyes closed while the snow gently fell and it felt as if we were the only two awake in the whole neighborhood, I realized how special our time together in the middle of the night is. When she groggily cries for food and I stumbled with her into the living room, us both half asleep, the feeding is peaceful, if sleepy. And when my attempt to keep Belle upright after she's eaten turns into a snooze and cuddle session before I lay her back down in her bassinet, I am reminded of how lucky I am to have a beautiful, healthy baby girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment