Sunday, June 19, 2011

My First Father's Day

In honor of Father's Day, we had some milestones in the house. Friday night, Belle decided to sleep through the night for the first time. We were staying at my parents' house for the weekend, and when I woke up at 630 am, Seren told me that Belle hadn't woken up all night. I was very happy. Ironically, Seren woke up at 4am and was worried because Belle hadn't had her night feeding. I remember my mom telling me that the first night that Belle sleeps through the night, I will wake up worried. Well, I didn't wake up worried, but Seren did. Thankfully, Belle had just reached a milestone. She repeated the feat on Saturday night, which was nice because Seren and I went to bed at 1am after a wedding.

I woke up at 630 Sunday morning and joined Belle and Seren playing in my parents' den. We played a little and then Seren and Belle gave me my cards. These were not the first cards that I received. On Friday, my old Judge gave me my first Father's Day card. These were the first from my wife and daughter. They were both sweet, cute and heartfelt, and, as you can imagine, I loved getting both of them. My gift came in two parts. I received two professionally-done photographs of Belle - one for home and one for the office. The office one is my favorite kind of picture of Belle. Seren is holding Belle up as she stands. Seren is only visible from the toes to her knees and a cute Belle is smiling as her mother holds her up. This was a pose that done previously and I loved that picture (though Seren wasn't as big of a fan because she hadn't had a pedicure before hand).

After I received my cards, Seren went back to sleep, while Grandpa Richard and I played with Belle. When nap time came, I brought Belle up to sleep with her mother (her mother's favorite part of the day, bar none). I went for a run, then came home and took Belle for a walk around West Birchwood so that Seren could sleep.

Soon, we got our acts together and started our day. We visited Grandma Ann who always loves company that comes in two-foot size (as well as company that is bigger than five feet). From there, we went to Aunt Wendy's house and celebrated with my mom's family. It was great to spend the day with all my maternal family, celebrating an engagement and seeing cousins Noah and Dylan, as well as the rest of the troops. For various reasons, it was an emotional day for me, but a great day.

Fatherhood has certainly changed my life. It has been challenging and I could most definitely use more sleep. But seeing Belle's smile lights up a room, there is no greater feeling in the world. I could live on that alone.

My Grandma Ann says that I was delicious as a baby (I apparently had huge thighs). I never understood it. Now I do. Belle is a delicious baby who brings me, and most people she sees, endless joy. She's a great kid who makes fatherhood incredibly rewarding.

And my partner-in-crime is pretty good too. Without her, Belle and I would probably be stuck in the fetal position crying. Thank you Seren.

1 comment:

  1. For the record, my un-pedicured toenails were not the reason I didn't print the picture of Belle and me from January. At that time, Belle couldn't stand on her own so I am supporting her. In the newest version of the photo, I am only holding her hands and she is otherwise standing on her own (way cuter). Anyhow, happy Father's Day.

    ReplyDelete