Sunday, March 6, 2011

Daddy Daughter Night

Last night, Seren's Avon friends were in town. I encouraged them to party so I got a treat with a Daddy-Daughter night. I invited my mom to come in with my grandparents during the day. That expanded to Jeff, Joanna and Noah coming too, and then Mitch, and then even my Dad stopped by after a long busy tax season Saturday. Everyone had a really enjoyable day playing with the two babies. Usually Noah reaches out to grab his cousin, but yesterday, Belle showed her cousin who's the boss. She poked him.

Seren went out with the ladies around 7pm, leaving with my parents, just after I ran to Blockbuster and got The Kids Are All Right. I put it in around 8 after Belle went to sleep. She didn't nap well during the day, but Seren put her down before she left and she slipped into dreamland with minimal fuss. Seren also topped Belle off before leaving.

Around 930, Belle started crying. I went in, replaced the pacifier and started getting a bottle ready. I wanted Seren to have a worry-free night, so I didn't tell her that Belle was starting to stir. At this time, I took the bottle out of the fridge and put it in the warm water to get to temperature. Belle cried again a few minutes later, so I replaced the pacifier again and waited for the milk to get to temperature. And then she fell asleep, just as the milk was ready.

At 1045, she stirred again. Now I've had milk sitting on the counter at room temperature for an hour, so I figured it's time to feed Belle. I replace the pacifier and she's asleep. At 11, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is over and I want to go to sleep. But Belle will be hungry, I have milk on the counter at room temperature and I don't want to be lax on the feeding. So I start watching the Bourne Ultimatum. It's now 1145, I'm tired, Belle's asleep and the milk is on the counter. I haven't stayed awake past midnight since before Belle was born. And now I'm positively worried. Belle hasn't eaten in almost 5 hours and the milk is ready. Is she ok?

She was. At 1230, she woke up, just after Mom walked in. I don't know if she gave her hungry snort, but it didn't matter. I gave her a bottle on my lap and Seren pumped. It all worked out ok. And I think we got some sleep training in as well.

Now I can't wait for the next Daddy-daughter night.

No comments:

Post a Comment