Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The sacred Sunday shower

Among the many aspects of daily life I took for granted in my pre-Mom life in the shower. In fact, one of my first requests from the store when Craig went back to work in September was a shampoo/conditioner all-in-one because speed has become top priority when showering with an infant at home. Most mornings, I bring Belle into the bathroom in her bouncy seat and she plays while I shower. If she gets fussy, we play peek-a-boo and I swing to her, but there usually isn't time for her to get bored of her bouncy seat playthings because I now shower in just a few short minutes. Unless Belle's morning timing works out for Craig to take Belle with him to Shabbat morning services, I make sure to take a quick shower Monday through Saturday.

Sundays, however, are different. Most Sunday mornings, Craig is home and eager to play with Belle. That leaves me free to sleep and shower. On Sundays, I can indulge and wash my hair shampoo and then use conditioner. On Sundays, I can let the warm water fall on my head and back without looking through the glass shower door to make sure Belle is OK. On Sundays, I revel in my shower.

This past Sunday, when there was no hot water, I nearly cried. I didn't, but I nearly did. Don't the maintenance workers in the building realize the value of a hot shower on a Sunday morning? I might not even noticed the tempertaure of the water during the other six days when I'm in and out of the shower in about the time it takes Craig to change Belle's diaper.

So, I showered quickly, as if it were a regular Wednesday, and Craig made me tea so I could warm up. And, though it's Tuesday as I write this, I am already looking forward to Sunday for my sacred Sunday shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment